The OpenFOAM (Open Field Operation and Manipulation) CFD Toolbox is a free, open source CFD software package, developed primarily by OpenCFD Ltd, now a subsidiary of the ESI Group. Written in C++, it has an extensive range of features to solve anything from complex fluid flows involving chemical reactions, turbulence and heat transfer, to acoustics, solid mechanics and electromagnetics.
It includes meshing tools, notably snappyHexMesh, a parallelised mesher for complex CAD geometries, and for pre- and post-processing. Almost all steps of the workflow can run in parallel and can scale to thousands of processors. Being open allows OpenFOAM users customize by programming their own implementations in C++ e.g. custom solvers, pre- or post processing utilities etc.
Pawsey Supercomputing Centre hosts a large and expanding community of OpenFOAM users. Having to learn a large code base, which is highly customizable, requires a steep learning curve. With the intention to facilitate the learning, the Pawsey Centre is hosting a weeklong OpenFOAM training conducted by the ESI.
Who should attend
- New users seeking to obtain or broaden the basic knowledge of OpenFOAM
- Users with basic knowledge looking to aiming for advanced CFD, dealing with complex geometries and OpenFOAM programming
- Foundation course (28th – 29th November)
- Prerequisite – prior knowledge of Linux and C++ is not necessary but will be beneficial
- Advanced course (30th November – 1st December)
- Prerequisite – prior knowledge of Linux, C++ and OpenFOAM is recomended
- Visual CFD – a proprietary GUI based Visual environment for OpenFOAM developed by ESI/OpenCFD (2ndDecember)
- Prerequisite – no prior experience of OpenFOAM or programming is required.
- Face to face meetings with OpenFOAM expert for problem specific discussion (2nd December)
After attending these sessions, you will be able to:
- create computational mesh from an arbitrary geometry
- assess the mesh quality for OpenFOAM
- setup the simulation for common problems
- find detailed information about all physical and numerical models in OpenFOAM
- understand how to assist convergence of the simulation
- post-process the results
- Setup and run the simulation with the help of GUI tool Visual-CFD
ALL training material including a workstation will be provided during the training.