Thermal and high pressure driven dewatering methods are widely used in the food industry for the production of liquid food concentrates. These methods are energy intensive, have a high associated carbon footprint and significantly increase the operating costs of food manufacture.
Forward osmosis (FO) is a novel membrane filtration technology where a net movement of water across a semi-permeable membrane is driven by differences in osmotic pressure. Forward osmosis works differently to hydraulic pressure used in other membrane processes. Dewatering using forward osmosis results in a significant reduction in the use of energy compared to current methods such as evaporation, resulting in lower operating costs and retention of volatile flavour components. As a result, FO maintains aroma properties and improved sensory, physical and functional properties of products better than other technologies.
We invite you to come and meet the teams from CSIRO and Porifera to discuss and develop innovative solutions to your concentration needs in producing differentiated products for the Australian and growing Asian markets.
What will you get out of it?
- learn about a novel concentration technology for the food industry and it's laboratory scale proof-of-concept applications for dairy fluids and fruit and vegetable extracts
- hear a preliminary cost benefit analysis undertaken by CSIRO, comparing FO and evaporation to concentrate milk
- see demonstrations of FO at pilot scale to concentrate milk and at laboratory scale to concentrate vegetable juice
- inspection of a commercial FO scale unit configuration, and details of scaling up technology
- discuss opportunities for partnering to develop applications for the technology
- book a confidential meeting with CSIRO and Porifera to discuss your specific needs. Further details here (PDF, 84KB).
Food Osmosis technology showcase program (PDF, 104KB)
$66.00 (inc gst). Lunch and refreshments are included.
30 November 2016
CSIRO's food innovation centre makes it easy for food and ingredient companies to access our extensive expertise, technologies and support in innovation, including our $50m world-class food manufacturing pilot plants. From adopting innovative technologies and improving process efficiency to creating high value products for new markets, we partner with industry every day. We've recently helped our clients to grow their sales by more than $200m.
Porifera's forward osmosis product line offers the lowest cost solution for producing high quality food and beverage concentrates from the most challenging sources. Porifera offer advanced membranes, elements and systems for water treatment and product concentration.
CSIRO's food innovation centre
Upcoming food innovation centre events